This recipe is a superfood paradise. Inspired by Family Spice, this refreshing salad offers the classic combination of cranberry and orange, with a fresh twist of kale, pomegranate, quinoa, and mint! It’s light in calories and heavy in flavor…can you say hello, perfect comfort food?
Cranberry Orange Quinoa Salad
Yields: 8 Servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cup water
- 2 large leaves of kale
- 2 cup cranberries, fresh
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 TBS orange zest, grated
- 6 small oranges
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh, chopped
- In a fine mesh sieve, rinse quinoa under running water until it no longer “foams” and water runs clear.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan. Add almond milk and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has evaporated, about 10-12 minutes.
- Wash, remove from stems and finely chop 2 large leaves of kale.
- Pulse in a food processor to coarsely chop 2 cup cranberries, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- When quinoa is done, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix with chopped kale. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in orange zest with the quinoa.
- Peel and coarsely chop 6 small oranges.
- When quinoa is cooled completely, gently stir in the oranges and cranberry mixture.
- Stir in cup mixed nuts, pomegranate arils, and mint.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
What’s your favorite quinoa salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below.
Teresa & WANU