There is nothing better on a cold, dreary winter day than staying in, watching Netflix, and curling up with something warm and hearty. This creamy – without the cream – Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup has the perfect balance of sweet and spice (and everything nice). It’s simple to make, has tremendous flavor, and is packed with nutrients, including fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin B-complex, iron, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. Ditch the baked potato soup and give this healthier option a try!
Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, diced
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 2 onions, peeled and copped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 mild red or green chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Sprig of thyme, to garnish
- Cashew cream, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450° Fahrenheit.
- Add the squash to a roasting tray with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and all of the spices. Mix and coat them well to cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, place a wide pan on a medium heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and chopped chilli and fry for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the roasted squash and vegetable stock to the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are soft and cooked through.
- Transfer to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and check for spices and salt.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme and cashew cream
What’s your favorite butternut squash soup recipe? Comment below!
Teresa & WANU