1. Eat CleanYou don’t have to give up eating clean just because it’s the holidays. Many of your favorite special-occasion treats can be “cleaned up” simply by swapping whole grains for refined ones, choosing low-fat dairy products, and using minimally processed sugars like honey over granulated white or brown sugar. Even if you do splurge on a few items, be smart and don’t overindulge. Maintain your healthy diet to fuel your body for endless festivities, but enjoy your traditional treats as well - moderation is key!
2. Breathe!It sounds simple enough but we forget to breathe when we are stressed or upset. Deep, cleansing breaths can actually help lower your stress level, not to mention your blood pressure. So when you're feeling stressed, just breathe: The 4-7-8 Exercise (aka the Relaxing Breath):
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four seconds.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven seconds.
- Exhale completely through your mouth to a count of eight seconds.